The Thoughts of Biggus Rickus

The home to all things Biggus.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, FL

I'm the shit.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fake Talk Show Commercials

I gave up cable to limit my TV watching. With cable I would find myself watching mediocre movies on Bravo, bad '80s comedies on Comedy Central or reruns of shows I don't even like on any number of channels. I decided it had to stop. I don't miss it much, except for being able to watch 80 college football games on any Saturday from the beginning of September to the beginning of December. However, I still watch TV occasionally, The Office and a few other shows regularly and whatever might be on when I first wake up in the morning. What is on when I wake up is one of three things: God, People's Court or Infomercials. Yeah, who'd have thought The People's Court would be preferable to anything? Though the God shows can be entertaining sometimes. That fervor, while a little scary, is also a little funny. Sunday mornings you get Hagee, the end times guy and I wish he was on every morning. I'd definitely watch that. Anyway, there's a guy named Kevin Trudeau who has built an empire on infomercials. He was finally busted for false advertising some years back and can no longer sell products. But he's found a new way to scam people: Books. His first one was "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About" (italics his). I saw the infomercial from that one in passing and he was telling Tammy Faye Baker all about the conspiracy between the government and the drug companies to keep us all ignorant, unhealthy and buying drugs. If two lying sacks of shit can't convince you then nothing can I suppose. That one at least had the look of a shopping network as they ran through conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory and all the random encounters with people thanking Trudeau for his work you could possibly want. Now, he's released a follow up called "More Natural Cures Revealed" and has taken the ad into the skeezy realm of the fake talk show. I don't know who believes that there is a randomly timed talk show featuring only one guest and the exact same dialog every time, but this is the most underhanded form of infomercial nonetheless. I've seen them with Danny Bonaducci as host, I've heard them on the radio and now I've seen one featuring king of the infomercial scam, Kevin Trudeau. They must dupe people because the infomercial scene has been moving that way for some time. And when I think that it's obviously not real as the host says, "Your product is so great, I hardly believe it's possible." and the "guest" says, "It is great. Here's an example. I was walking down the street in Walla Walla when this little old lady came up and said she had suffered from arthritis for 300 years and there was nothing her doctor could do. She was in pain all the time. She tried drinking Antiarth 3000 for two weeks and not only was the pain completely gone but she also had the lustrous skin and hair of a twenty year old and could jump to the tops of houses on her block. That's just one of the hundreds of similar stories I heard." I remember that a lot of people think wrestling is real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home